What to join the Garden team? We’re looking for a few extra hands to help the garden along:
The next couple of months will be an exciting time for the Teaching Garden as we’re now beginning to take delivery of a whole range of new plants and other resources. The following things are either already here or are on their way:
– Over 50 different plants for the new Medicinal Herbs Zone
– More than 50 different trees and shrubs to create an edible hedge
– A large number of plants and trees to develop the woodland garden
– Lots of seeds for growing on the in the greenhouse (to arrive mid-April) and raised beds
– Resources to develop horticultural experiments – for instance three big sacks of “biochar” have just arrived so we could test how well this performs as a soil amendment
All of that means that I’m going to need quite a bit of help! Last semester there was a great group of volunteers for the Garden and we hope that even more staff and students will be interested in getting involved with these projects. To that end we’ll be starting up the Thursday volunteering sessions from this week. Either Matt [Davies} or the new Garden Technician will be out in the Garden most of the day on Thursdays and it would be great to have anyone interested in lending a hand come along. All training will be provided and all you need is some enthusiasm. This is your garden though and so new ideas, especially for garden experiments, are very welcome.